The flowers I cut out of some flannel and simply sewed onto the skirt with a zigzag stitch…same with the yellow dot in the middle. They aren’t perfect but at least they don’t look like eggs. I did add suspenders out of tubes of yellow fleece but they were bulky and wouldn’t lie flat. So I took the suspenders off and I think the outfit looks just as good without it.
Another integral part of Olivea’s gnome outfit is the pointed pink hat. I used this Gnome Pattern, but switched it up from a light weight yarn to use lamb’s pride bulky again. With 10.5 needles I cast on 76 stitches, and instead of 4 rows between decreases I used 2 rows between.
One run through the washer and dryer and it fit me, a second run through the washing machine and it fit Liv. The final step was to add on some needle felted flowers. So yesterday I bought a needle felting kit and went at it last night. Needle felting is a blast. I will definitely be using this technique to embellish more in the future.
My daughter Olivea is 21 months old, and this is the first year we’re going to try trick-or-treating. Naturally I wanted to make her costume. I wanted to make it last year as well, but I found a really cute fleece flower outfit at a thrift store and never finished the costume I’d started. And because she’s adorable here is a photo from last year.
This year she’s going to be a gnome girl (that’s what she was supposed to be last year too). My inspiration was this costume I saw at Walmart last year.
I thought it was adorable, but I didn’t want to spend $17 on something I could make myself. Of course then I went to Joanns and spent $20 on materials and didn’t get it finished in time.
I also thought that the big flowers looked more like eggs than anything floral.
This year, I got out the materials and got started early. As a knitter I decided to knit the hat and shoes. I’ve used 3 skeins of Lamb’s Pride Bulky and these patterns: Gnome Hat and Elf Shoes. (ravelry links)
Today I’ll show you the Elf Gnome Shoes. They were knit in a bulky pink wool, and I used some left over green Knit Picks Merino (doubled) for the green squares. I knit this pattern verbatim, and it was quick and easy.
Pre-felting these puppies fit my size 11 feet. After 1 run through the wash and dryer, and one more run through the washer they were Olivea sized! After the 2nd run through the washer I stuffed them with paper to shape and dry them. They are still a little big, so she can use them as slippers for this winter and probably next winter too.
And the results. Tune in next time for the next piece.